The Indiana State Fairgrounds is searching for a professional Safety/Security Officer to join its team in providing 24/7 security to the Fairgrounds campus.The ideal candidates will be professional, dedicated, customer focused, and able to adapt to the frequently changing uses of the Fairgrounds.
The purpose of this position is to ensure the safety and security of guests, staff, and property of the Fairgrounds campus. This position will respond to incidents involving guests and staff, patrol the property to ensure the security of the property, investigate complaints/crimes/accidents, respond to medical incidents and prepare incident reports used by the Fairgrounds and Attorney General’s Office.
**The shift for this position is Thursday through Sunday from 1:00pm to 10:00pm.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
1. Patrol the grounds to ensure the security of buildings and other public areas. This includes securing buildings, gates, exterior spaces, and patrolling to protect guests, staff, and exposed assets.
2. Provide a positive guest experience when assisting guests or responding to and resolving incidents.
3. Respond to incidents and emergencies in a continuously changing environment.
4. Collect camping fees from visitors to the Indiana State Fairgrounds RV Campground.
5. Work with Indiana State Police, Indianapolis Metro Police, IEMS, and IFD when responding to incidents.
6. Respond to medical emergencies, provide first aid, and document injuries.
7. Investigate crimes, complaints, and accidents that occur on the Fairgrounds and prepare accurate written reports describing the events.
1. Strong customer focus: Able to demonstrate a high level of service delivery; does what is necessary to ensure customer satisfaction; deals with service failures and prioritizes customer needs.
2. Decisive in action: Able to stand by a decision, despite second-guessing or disagreement from others; takes quick action in a high-risk crisis; can assess a situation and make an optimal decision despite limited information.
3. Excellent communication skills: Able to clearly present information through the spoken or written word; reads and interprets complex information; talks with customers or clients; listens well.
4. Excellent interpersonal relations: Able to relate effectively to a wide range of people, personalities and demographics; is able to “connect” with others in a variety of circumstances so that people are able to feel a level of comfort and ease around that person.
5. Strong computer skills: Able to use in MS Word, Adobe Acrobat, Windows Explorer, and access the internet for online software required for writing reports
High school diploma or GED equivalent and 3 – 5 years’ experience required.
Candidates with a bachelor’s degree are required to have 2 – 3 years’ experience.
Law enforcement experience preferred.
This position requires a self-motivated candidate who can make decisions, knows when to call for assistance and to inform supervisor of issues, resolves issues appropriately when possible, and diligently works to ensure the property is secure and staff and guests are safe.
This position will receive routine supervision from the Safety & Security Manager. Work is performed under general guidelines, procedures and rules. Supervisor occasionally reviews work to ensure completion.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. This position is typically filled at a salary of $14.00 per hour.