Aug 24, 2019
Graduation from an accredited high school or equivalent, plus four (4) years experience in maintenance and/or construction, including two (2) years experience in operation of heavy duty equipment. One (1) year of additional related experience may substitute for one (1) year of high school, up to a maximum of four (4) years. Licenses or Certifications:
Valid Class “A” Commercial Driver’s License (CDL). Specific endorsements may be required to be obtained within (90) days of hire. Must maintain a good driving record. Physical Requirements:
Continuous outdoor activity, frequent sitting, standing, walking, squatting, bending, twisting upper body, climbing, exposure to extreme heat, cold, noise, inclement weather, electrical hazards, mechanical hazards, fume/odor hazards, toxic waste/material hazards, occasional kneeling, crawling, carrying/lifting up to ninety (90) pounds ,and Indoor activity.
Notes to Applicants
Candidates hired for these positions may initially be assigned to a specific location but must be agreeable to relocate to another field office based on business requirements.
Applicants must be at least 18 years old and hold a current applicable driver’s license. If selected as the top candidate, your driving record(s) will be evaluated. Job offer is contingent on meeting the City’s Driver Eligibility Standards which include not exceeding the applicable Driver Record Evaluation Points (DRE) or City Driver Points (CDP).
Education verification will be conducted on the top candidate.
COMMERCIAL DRIVER’S LICENSE:
Job offer will be contingent on passing a pre-employment drug and alcohol screening test and thereafter, comply with the Alcohol and Controlled Substance Testing rules as outlined by the City of Austin Alcohol and Drug Policy for Driver’s of Commercial Motor Vehicles.
Candidate selected to interview is subject to a Written and/or Equipment Skills assessments.
ABOUT YOUR EMPLOYMENT APPLICATION (Please read carefully):
When completing the City of Austin Employment Application: Include details on the application of prior and/or current work history with the City of Austin.
A resume may be submitted with the employment application, but does not substitute for a complete employment application.
A detailed and complete employment application will help us better evaluate your qualifications and will be used to determine salary if you are selected for this position.
Include any previous employment that you wish to be considered as part of your qualifications and relevant experience.
Your work history must include employer name and address, job title, supervisor’s name and phone number, the month and year of employment and whether it was full or part-time work. Each work history should include a detailed description of the work you performed. We do not accept “See Resume” and your application will be considered incomplete.
Any relevant work history on the resume must be reflected in the employment application in order to be considered.
$18.05 – $22.51
6:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. (Four days per week)
May require working outside of normal business hours as dictated by business needs. In addition, work schedule may change to a rotating shift during emergency weather events. Must be agreeable to accepting on-call assignments which might result in a call-back to work.
Job Close Date
Type of Posting External
Department Watershed Protection
Grant Funded or Pooled Position Not Applicable
Location 6301-C Harold Court, Austin, Texas
Five (5) or more years experience operating heavy equipment such as excavator, rubber tire loader, skid loader, haul tractor with low-boy trailer and track loader.
Two (2) or more years experience in the use of surveyor’s level to maintain elevation grades on project sites.
Two (2) or more years experience reading and interpreting engineering drawings and work plans.
Experience restoring and stabilizing creek, channel banks with erosion control materials such as limestone blocks, rock rip rap, and soil lifts.
Experience setting up and/or conducting traffic control.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
1. Operates a minimum of two types of heavy equipment per the Equipment Training Program.
2. Drives trucks and trailer rigs to haul equipment and materials. This equipment to include Haul Rig with Low Boy trailer, Concrete mix truck, Tandem Dump trucks with trailers.
3. Operates and oversees maintenance of gas/diesel/propane equipment (i.e., pneumatic jack hammer, air compressor, generator, chain saw, lawn mower, weed eater, lawn blower, hedge trimmer, gasoline tamper, walk-behind roller, arrow board, quickie cut-off saw).
4. May demonstrate leadership in enforcing safety measures: i.e., crew wears proper safety equipment, and uses required safety devices on jobsites including traffic control barricades & signs, trench boxes, and adequate lighting for work at night. Checks jobsite for marked hazards. Document hazards and conduct Job Hazard Analysis meetings as needed.
5. Perform work in storm water management facilities, on stream bank stabilization and erosion control projects within open waterways and wet environments
6. Conducts all proper pre-trip inspections, including ZONAR and written forms to ensure proper operating conditions prior to leaving for the job site (ex: checks oil, water, fuel, tires, hydraulic system, etc.). Reports malfunctions and repair requirements to the crew lead or supervisor.
7. Performs and oversees landscape maintenance; including trimming trees, mowing grass, seeding, laying sod and erosion control.
8. Performs assigned tasks during emergency situations such as floods, severe weather, and accidents during regular business hours and after hours.
9. Participates in and conducts on-the-job and skill based training in order to meet team and department goals and objectives.
Responsibilities - Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
May provide leadership, work assignments, evaluation, training, and guidance to others
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
1. Knowledge and application of the Texas Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices I (TMUTCD) provisions, as it relates to the job.
2. Ability to work and occasionally lead activities in storm water management facilities; reconstruction/rehabilitation/maintenance.
4. Ability to read, write, and follow written, oral and computerized instructions; log onto a computer and train others in the completion of electronic forms, reports, and on-line training.
5. Must possess skills to produce finished quality maintenance and repairs with minimum rework.
6. Must be able to establish and maintain effective communication and working relationships with city employees and the public.
7. Ability to work with frequent interruptions and changes in assigned tasks.
8. Train others in the use of a surveyor's level to maintain elevation grades on project sites.
9. May be asked to read and interpret engineering drawings.
10. Sufficient math skills to calculate areas and volumes and prepare cost estimates.
Does this job require a criminal background investigation? This position does not require a criminal background investigation
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445.
Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within
the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
City of Austin
Austin, TX 78702